The Wound Care Program provides individualized treatment plans supervised by our on-site wound care physician, effective wound care management, and frequent reassessment. The goal is to promote normal wound healing while managing other illnesses, controlling environmental factors, and implementing proper positioning.
- Pressure ulcers
- Ulcers from peripheral vascular disease
- Diabetic ulcers
- Problematic surgical wound
- Chronic wounds
- Osteomyelitis / Infected wounds
- Post amputation wound care
- Daily physician-directed “hands on” complex wound evaluation and patient care
- Targeted sharp debridement of necrotic tissue by physician
- Continuing collaboration with referring professional by wound care physician
- Tight control of glucose and overall metabolic state
- Ongoing nutritional status and appropriate intervention and supplementation
- Individualized specialty support services that control pressure surfaces both sitting and lying
- Control of edema
- Utilization of current treatment modalities, including wound VAC if needed
- Increased mobility assisted by physical therapy and entire team
- Patient/Family education
Dr. Norman ‘Chip’ Whisenant, D.O.
Dr. Norman ‘Chip’ Whisenant, a full-time, on-site physician has directed the Wound Care Program since 1999. He coordinates the interdisciplinary care team and has extensive experience in the use of wound care dressings, negative pressure assisted wound care and excisional sharp debridement.
Dr. Whisenant completed his residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio and is a certified Wound Care Specialist.